Ian's Reviews > A Hero to Come Home To

A Hero to Come Home To by Marilyn Pappano

Two years after her husband was killed in Afghanistan, Carly continues to grieve the loss and is unable to move on. Her one respite is the Tuesday night Margarita Club, a group of women who like her have lost their husbands and look to each other for support.

Dane lost his leg after a roadside bomb detonated under the vehicle he was in. Now his life is one of rehabilitation and learning to function on a prosthetic limb. But even more debilitating than the physical trauma is the emotional trauma and he struggles with his feelings of inadequacy.

When he first meets Carly he hides his amputation from her, but as their relationship deepens he knows he needs to come clean. But as he comes to depend on her and the emotional support she gives him more and more, it becomes harder and harder tell her the truth.

A Hero to Come Home To has it's feet firmly planted in the contemporary romance genre, and as a contemporary romance it's one of the better ones I've read. But the thing that really sets this book apart...the thing that takes it from a solid 4 Stars to 5 Stars, is how the author has dealt with grief, PTSD and survivor's guilt.

I've read a few books that have broached the topic, most of them come across as well researched but somehow don't quite get it right. Marilyn Pappano gets it...more than just about any other author I've read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hero to Come Home To.

February 11, 2014 – Started Reading
February 11, 2014 – Shelved
February 11, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 13, 2014 –
0.0% "Oh my...this is good."
February 13, 2014 –
0.0% "There are two types of getting it right. \n \n There is the "I've done months of research and interviews and I know this subject" type.\n \n Then there's the "I understand this topic because I've experienced it" \n \n I don't know if the author has actually experienced the things she is writing about her but it feels like she has."
February 15, 2014 – Shelved as: b-favorites
February 15, 2014 – Shelved as: a-audiobook
February 15, 2014 – Shelved as: b-five-star
February 15, 2014 – Shelved as: g-contemporary-romance
February 15, 2014 – Shelved as: g-g-rated-romance
February 15, 2014 – Shelved as: t-small-town
February 15, 2014 – Shelved as: t-soldiers-cops-firemen
February 15, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Sounds wonderful, Ian...great review. DL the sample as we speak....:)

message 2: by Searock (new) - added it

Searock Thanks, Ian. If you're impressed, I'll definitely have to check this one out.

message 3: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] I used to read this author years ago. I remember her doing a really nice job with a romance. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Another author I've been reading that does a very good job with returning war veterans is Jessica Scott. She is a war veteran herself and I think her books are cathartic for her. They chew me up, but they offer such hope. You may want to check her out.

message 4: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Michelle wrote: "I used to read this author years ago."

I think it may have been you who put me onto her with a very sweet adult fairy tale called Season for Miracles.

message 5: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Very possible ...

Little Butterfly Great review, Ian. Sounds intriguing. Is it strongly focused on religion? I've read that in a review. If yes I'm not sure I'd like to read it.

message 7: by Ian (last edited Apr 13, 2014 03:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Little Butterfly εïз wrote: "Great review, Ian. Sounds intriguing. Is it strongly focused on religion? I've read that in a review. If yes I'm not sure I'd like to read it."

Thanks Little B.
In regards to religion I think it's probably that the author is religious and that comes through in her writing. I think it comes through a little more in the second book than this one but it still comes through in this one. That said I wouldn't say it's preachy.

And she is also the first author I've read who has got grief, depression and PTSD right which is probably why I gave it the 5th star.

Little Butterfly Ian wrote: "Little Butterfly εïз wrote: "Great review, Ian. Sounds intriguing. Is it strongly focused on religion? I've read that in a review. If yes I'm not sure I'd like to read it."

Thanks Little B.
In r..."

message 9: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Little Butterfly εïз wrote: "Thanks, Ian. I'll give it a try I think. I'm just not a fan of books that go too much down the "preachy" path. "

I'm the same. I don't mind reading christian books but I hate books that are preachy or judgmental. I personally don't think this book is too bad, but one of the main characters is plainly christian and that does come through.