Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes

Jan 15, 2010

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Recommended for: K-2, especially girls
Read in January, 2010

A few tons of thanks to Goodreads friend Kathryn who recommended this book to me because I doubt I’d have read it if not for her recommendation. I’d seen this book, but its title did not seem at all appealing to me; I didn’t know what it was about but what my imagination conjured up was so far off the mark.

This is a wonderful story about Lilly (I haven’t yet read the earlier two books in which she’s featured) who loves her teacher so much she wants to be a teacher too, until she has a very difficult day.

I loved this story. It reminded me of just how important those precious things are (such as the purple plastic purse and its contents) and children will surely identify with Lilly. I appreciated that a really wonderful teacher is featured: one who is truly caring and fair, but is able to set limits too.

Lilly is like so many little girls I’ve known and my memories of being in the very early grades in school were sparked by this book.

It’s a wonderful book to begin discussions about being considerate of others’ feelings, ways to handle strong feelings such as anger, sharing when appropriate, the importance of listening, and delayed gratification.

It’s also just hilarious. There are so many amusing parts. Perhaps my biggest laugh came when the contrite Lilly, back at home, “decided to sit in the uncooperative chair.”

The illustrations are wonderful and there’s a lot to look at as many of the illustrations are really detailed and some include words/text too.

From beginning to end, there’s not a false note in this story. It perfectly captures how enraptured young children are with their teachers, how marvelous certain possessions seem, the range of feelings we all have, and the limitless goals young children often have. It has a very happy ending, and it’s charming all the way through!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse.

Lisa Vegan Chandra, You AND Izzy have just got to read this. I love this book and would never have even thought to pick it up because of the cover but even more because of the title. It's great though!!!

Lisa Vegan Chandra, I just skimmed it again and you know maybe the illustrations aren't outstanding but the story is so terrific and the pictures fit the story so well, that I do like them. If they were in another book I might not like them as well. Does that make sense?

Kathryn YAY! I'm SO happy you loved this one so much, Lisa. I think your fabulous review perfectly captured all the wonderful things about this gem of a story. And, Chandra, I think you and Izzy will love it, too!

Ronyell I really loved this book too, especially the teacher!! He was such an inspiring teacher!