Jens Kuhn's Reviews > The Midnight Guardian

The Midnight Guardian by Sarah-Jane Stratford

Jan 15, 2010

Read in November, 2009

I was intrigued by the plot of this novel when I first read about it on a blog about vampire books. I bought it as soon as it was out and I wasn't disappointed. The author perfectly combines the two genres I love the most, so I didn't really have a chance.

When I started reading it I at first did have some difficulties with the several timelines and frequent time-hopping. But that soon ceased when I got drawn into the world she created. The vampire characters are positively loveable (forget the Cullens) and the atmosphere is breathtaking.

There are some minor historic flaws, which might annoy the besserwisser (Stuttgart was one of Germany's major railway stations in the 1940ies, not a place where only a few would have gotten off) but who cares about things like that - it's fiction after all.

I am delighted to have found this new star on the horizon and am so much looking forward to the sequel(s). The idea of the millennia vampires in itself guarantees that there can be an indefinite number of them. Just put one of them in the Napoleonic era and I'd be in heaven.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnight Guardian.