Peace Love and Reviews's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Shiloh Walker

1963075
Jan 15, 2010

I cannot think of a better title for this book. The protagonist Quinn Rafferty has one of those childhood gone bad past. His mother is a drug addict and an alcoholic who beats him for trying to go to school, for reading and just for being alive. He was also emotionally battered, reading that part of him was close to unbearable, I hate reading kids being beat up by their parents, thankfully it wasn't that long. His mother died from drug overdose (no surprise there) while in the police station he found himself staring at another boy that looks like him, only this boy wears clean clothes and expensive shoes. He's got a twin and his name is Luke, and his father found him. Twenty years later he has become a bounty hunter. He especially caters to those bastards who gets a knack out of beating their wife / girlfriend or their kid.

Sara the other half in this story, pretty impressive character. She is a strong woman with great personality and is logically sound even after everything that has happened to her. Sara is currently a waitress, she's been on the run for two years, moving from town to town, not staying for more than 3 months in a specific place. She can't afford it, she can't stop being paranoid and she can't trust anybody, until she met this elderly woman at the diner where she's working and offer her an apartment better than the one she's living in at that moment. Little did she know that there is one awesome incentive waiting for her.

Sara and Quinn's first glimpse of each other was full of tension right away. It will kill you. LOL. Walker built up an exciting anticipation on what will happen to this two characters once they get acquainted emotionally and physically. The tension was like a seduction for me. I kept on reading, not only looking forward to the sex scenes (which was hot as expected) but towards the revelation of Sara's past. I wasn't sure at first if two tormented people can really help each other. Sara and especially Quinn have a long history of emotional turmoil that I don't even think any one can help. Usually, the horrors and tortures from their past leaves them lonely and borderline psycho but when these two got close to each other the wounds seems to close and open up to a new and brighter morning. It was especially nice when Quinn woke up that one morning and he felt contentment.

Shiloh Walker virgin here, and I love this book and I love her writing style so I went out to buy more of her books. I wonder is Luke's story is as good as Quinn's? I have a heart for bad and dangerous boys, Luke doesn't seem to be the type. I have to find out.

Broken is a book full of intense situations. A tale that tells how bad things happen to good people. Their amazing struggle to keep their sanity, survival, hope and love. Exciting, lust worthy, and gripping. Definitely have to be on your tbr list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

January 15, 2010 – Shelved
January 22, 2010 – Started Reading
January 22, 2010 –
page 50
15.29% "Quinn *sigh* -ARC Tour hosted by TheBookVixen"
Finished Reading
January 23, 2010 –
page 123
37.61% "watch out for this page"

Shawna Nice review, Peace! I'm so jealous you got to read this early! I can't wait for this one!

message 2: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Great review, I'm adding this to my TBR as sounds like my cup of tea.