Liralen's Reviews > Following the Yellow Arrow: Younger Pilgrims on the Camino

Following the Yellow Arrow by Lynn K. Talbot

Feb 10, 2014

bookshelves: camino, nonfiction, travel, stories-and-essays, z-2014, reviewed

I was apprehensive about this when I realised that it was a collection of essays, but it ended up far exceeding my expectations. The limited space meant that most of the writers chose to focus on one or two important aspects of the trip rather than trying to cram in every detail, and the essays were coordinated (or edited) well enough that there was very little repetition of basic history.

My favourite essay was probably the first one, as it showcases such a different experience than that which I've been reading about -- the Camino in the 70s wasn't a Thing, so the author and her group had an experience that must have been in some ways wildly different than the medieval pilgrimage (as making the pilgrimage was intensely popular in medieval times) and in some ways more like medieval times than more contemporary walks are (rather more rustic).

I did end up wishing for slightly more variety in age and circumstance -- a lot of the writers walked the Camino as part of college classes. It makes a fair amount of sense, given that (to the best of my understanding) the Camino is dominated by somewhat older pilgrims, and a lot of the younger ones are on school trips. But I would have liked a couple more accounts by already-out-of-college pilgrims.

All told, though, a win. I was briefly disappointed, when I finished the book, at the thought of returning it to the library -- and then I remembered that the library didn't have a copy, so I bought one and can keep it. I cheered right up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Following the Yellow Arrow.

Finished Reading