Bettie's Reviews > The Pope and Mussolini: The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe

The Pope and Mussolini by David I. Kertzer

bookshelves: wish-list
Recommended to Bettie by: Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"

to hunt down, now where's my sleuthing kit...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pope and Mussolini.

February 10, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Adolf Hitler was baptised a Catholic.

message 2: by Bettie (new) - added it

Bettie Greg wrote: "Adolf Hitler was baptised a Catholic."

yes, he was, and if you read Hitler's Pope, the other side of the same coin, there was quite a bit of back scratching all the way round.
:O)

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont Interesting, Greg and Bettie. I love to learn something new every day and now I have the rest of the day to learn something else new.

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg Bettie, it is interesting looking at the wide difference in star ratings from one to five in the reviews of Hitler's Pope. This is a fascinating subject.

message 5: by Bettie (new) - added it

Bettie Greg wrote: "Bettie, it is interesting looking at the wide difference in star ratings from one to five in the reviews of Hitler's Pope. This is a fascinating subject."

It IS afsacinating subject however the aithor there is a bit dodgy, hack-esque. So the high scores are from those that like that approach OR can drive past the writing style to get to the story and the low ratings are from those that find the prose too tacky.

Fact wise I think it was spot on, and that is what we are looking for, just the facts ma'am!

:O)

message 6: by Bettie (new) - added it

Bettie Judging from Jeanette's review - the writing seems to be solid in this Pope and Mussolini book

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Nope, no tacky prose from Kertzer. He's a scholarly writer, but accessible at the same time.

Vheissu It is a quick read despite its scholarly credentials, and well worth the effort. After reading this, it is astonishing that Vatican II ever took place. It is shocking and deplorable that so many clerics long for a return to the days of Pius XI and XII.