Andrew's Reviews > Hollywood Ending

Hollywood Ending by Kathy Charles

Jan 14, 2010

Read from January 31 to February 05, 2010

An excellently crafted first novel from Kathy Charles. I was immediately drawn in by Hilda and Benji's antics as they embark on adventures around LA, visiting sites of celebrity deaths. With witty dialogue and suitable attitude, the protagonists are easily likeable.

However, as the novel progresses, we soon start exploring the hidden (although unsurprising) depths of these characters, as well as of those around them, sometimes tragic, and some downright scary. And they are very real - we all know at least one person like Benji (at least, I do) and his journey in the book definitely struck a raw nerve in me. There is a certain darkness that grows as one progresses through this book, which is inevitable, given that all the central characters have a very real obsession with death. Eventually, it became a compelling page-turner that I couldn't put down, but at times I really wanted to because I was genuinely scared of what would happen next.

Here in Australia, this book has been marketed as adult, but it is very much a YA novel, and one of the best that I've read in recent months.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollywood Ending.

05/19/2016 marked as: read