Megan's Reviews > The Other Boleyn Girl

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Oct 31, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, has-a-movie-or-tv-show, royal-family
Read in February, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Book 9 in the Plantagenet and Tudor series

Very good. Although, the ending wasn't historically accurate, which really upset me, but other than that I really enjoyed the book. Mary Boleyn, "The Other Boleyn Girl," is Anne Boleyn's younger sister. She is married at 12, and then goes to court and becomes Henry VIII's mistress. She is very happy until she has her second child with Henry and realizes what a spoiled brat of an adult he really is. Her favor wanes, and her sister's Anne, increases. From there we pretty much know the rest of the story about Anne and Henry VIII. Mary goes back to her husband, who dies shortly thereafter, and she eventually re-marries a "nobody." And the two of them, her two bastard children, and her daughter with William, live happily ever after. Whether it's literary license or what the author found out as fact. She made Mary very, very stupid, and Anne very, very mean. Nether are my opinions of each figure in history, and this book almost spoiled that. However, if you know your history you might get a little upset by a couple of things, but overall you'll enjoy this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Boleyn Girl.

10/18/2016 marked as: read