Gaele's Reviews > Keep Me Ghosted

Keep Me Ghosted by Karen Cantwell

bookshelves: audio-book, audiobook-jukebox, reviewed

AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall 4 Narration 5 Story 3
When an audiobook starts with the heroine complaining about her companion Marmaduke, and you aren’t 100% sure that said companion is human or dog, it’s a winner. And, for the unaware, Marmaduke is former human, now ghostly companion of the heroine in this story, Sophie.

And Sophie is having a rather trying time of things. She is desperately seeking employment, and the interview for the receptionist’s position at the doctor’s office is not going as expected, in fact, his behavior is so strange she should be leaving as she questions his sanity and her safety.

Yet, all is not so simple: Sophie desperately needs a job, and the doctor desperately needs a receptionist that will work for longer than a few days. And, it isn’t as if Sophie is scared off by the ghosts, having Marmaduke in her life (a man who is certainly British and more than a touch stuffy) has given her a certain tolerance. Dr. Callahan just feels rather gobsmacked and unable to contend with a declining practice, employee issues, ghosts and Sophie’s rather direct manner.

I enjoyed the characters and their light and tentative steps to a romance. There were several giggle out loud moments, and both humans and ghosts have multiple quirks and unusual additions to their characterizations: at times I did feel the story pacing was sacrificed for yet another quirk or unusual element, even though many were funny and did give some depth.

The narration for this story is provided by Nan McNamara, and her delivery is perfectly suited to the story. She manages to give the readers a ‘wink and a nod’ in the most ridiculous moments, and I kept thinking that her narration felt appropriate for the story. Imagine acting out an I Love Lucy episode to someone who was unfamiliar with that comedy and you are close to McNamara’s approach to this book. In fact, the book does feel just like those old comedies: sweet, a touch over the top, and wholly entertaining. While the mystery doesn’t really enter until late, and from there the pace is fast and furious, the story is a fun respite for an afternoon’s break and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I received an AudioBook copy of the title from the author via AudioBook Jukebox. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keep Me Ghosted.

Started Reading