Jeanne's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Jan 14, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in January, 2010

Ah, that #1 in this title makes sense. I finished the book happy with the ending but wondering, "What about Shelby?"

I thought it could have been a little shorter. That's unusual for me to say about something I enjoyed reading. However, the "action" took a long time to show up. I appreciate relationship development, generally, but I found myself holding the book half-way through and wondering what they were going to do for the next however many pages. Then things happened.

I like to see how people construct their take on a tradition. We have some cultural "werewolf" beliefs and any new work has to account for them. I thought this was well done here.

Overall, touching. Everyone has lost someone, whether to death, or moving, or simply moving on. All this gets included.

And one technical issue, I hope the guy they got the blood from was O- because injecting some other kind of blood into someone without knowing the type seems like it could kill somebody, let alone worrying about infection. Then again, I don't know how much it takes to mess up a body.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.