Sally's Reviews > The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke

Jan 14, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: short-stories, historical, fantasy, england

1. The Ladies of Grace Adieu - the words were pretty enough, but for some reason my brain seemed to glaze over the story itself. I couldn't tell you what happened!
2. On Lickerish Hill - I thought it to be a quite fun retelling of Rumpelstiltskin, but for the actual writing! *shudders* Call me boring, but I just don't find it fun reading when every second word is misspelled in order to portray old dialect and the spelling of the era.
3. Mrs. Mabb - quite interesting and enjoyable! Although at times a bit too wordy.
4. The Duke of Wellington Misplaces His Horse - ah, now THIS is more like it!
5. Mr. Simonelli, or: The Fairy Widower - I just couldn't get into it. Sigh.
6. Tom Brightwind, or: How the Fairy Bridge Was Built at Thoresby - another that just felt so very long. Slow start, good middle, but lost me before the end.
7. Antickes and Frets - Now this one I did quite enjoy. :D
8. John Uskglass and the Cumbrian Charcoal Burner - a lovely, wonderful ending to the set! My favourite by far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories.

January 14, 2010 – Shelved
page 113
February 18, 2011 –
page 207
February 18, 2011 – Finished Reading

Ruby Oh, I think you should read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell! That was a very very brilliant book and some of the stories in here make more sense after reading that. But really, I thought that book was worth every page. (My copy had 1006)

Sally o.O so many pages! I might have to gear myself up for it xD