Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > American Assassin

American Assassin by Vince Flynn

Feb 08, 2014

bookshelves: audio

I've been known to read a book or two featuring testosterone-fueled, badass men who fare well in hand-to-hand combat. I was waxing poetic about Jack Reacher one night when we had friends over for dinner, and a friend, who is a bit of a badass himself, recommended I look into the Mitch Rapp series. I did a little inward recoil. Wasn't Vince Flynn up there with James Patterson in the "airplane paperback" category? Well, whatever, my cred would be questioned if I didn't give this series a try, and I'm actually happy that I gave it a chance. Mitch Rapp IS definitely one of those guys who are just born to kick bad-guy butts. In this first installment, he is fresh out of college and has just lost his high school sweetheart to the Pan Am Flight 103 bombing over Lockerbie Scotland. He's PISSED, and wants a little revenge against the terrorists that were involved. He is recruited as a CIA clandestine operative and trained as an assassin, something it seems he was destined to be. And he's off...taking out one terrorist after another, and eventually ends up in Beirut as a kidnapped hostage in order to save his mentor and colleague.

I know that the idea of a "spy novel" might turn a few people off. They tend to be complicated. But this was very easy to follow and really entertained me. It was hard to initially invest in Mitch Rapp...he is a fellow of few words and you don't get to know him very well here. But his actions are enough to make me want to come back for more. Granted, the dialogue is a bit hokey (like "I'm going to shove my boot so far up your ass you will be chewing leather" kind of silliness). But there is nothing quite as fun as reading about terrorists getting whacked. I also find it interesting to read about terrorism prior to 9/11, knowing what we know now.

The narrator for this book is a veteran that I've heard countless times, George Guidall, who is an accomplished actor. We had all kinds of accents going on here...French, Middle Eastern, German, and various American ones, and he nailed them. He also manages his pacing well too, ranging from slow and deliberate to breathless and rushed, depending on the action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Assassin.

February 8, 2014 – Shelved