Wendy Darling's Reviews > An Ember in the Ashes

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Well, damn. There had better be a sequel for this book! Penguin, you can't just leave us hanging there!

The first few chapters are absolutely riveting (you can read an excerpt here, btw: http://www.mtv.com/news/2051414/exclu...), and the cruel, merciless world these characters inhabit is well drawn. The feel of this book reminded me of the Legend trilogy, actually, though I think Ember is more complex in plot, characters, and setting. It's fantasy that feels a bit dystopian, which is pretty interesting.

I'm mulling over a couple of major points that I think could have made this book better (view spoiler), but overall I enjoyed this very much. Review to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Ember in the Ashes.

February 8, 2014 – Shelved
January 14, 2015 – Started Reading
January 20, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Bonnie This sounds so good!

Wendy Darling So far, it's excellent. And really exciting. :D

Bonnie That's fabulous to hear.

Layla ...!

message 5: by Faith (new)

Faith Johnson HUh

message 6: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers) I'm reading this now too!! It is SOOOOO GOOD! :) Enjoy!

Sarah Ahhh I'm so excited for this book!

Wendy Darling Layla, you need to get on this one.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it, Alicia!

Sarah--I'd love to hear what you think of this one, it's a page-turner for sure! There are a lot of influences from ancient Rome, and a ruthless female antagonist who is pretty awesome.

Daphne (Illumicrate) Really want to read this! Harper Voyager here should have proofs soon - I've heard nothing but good things!

Rebecca I'm looking forward to this one, so I'm glad to see you liked it!

message 11: by Kendra (new) - added it

Kendra I'm so excited for this book! The blurb makes it sound like grimdark; I'm hoping that's not accurate.

Wendy Darling Ah, I hope you get it, Daphne. C'mon, HV!

Rebecca--I really enjoyed it, I hope you do, too! It's going to make a fantastic film. It's very easy to visualize, particularly the more menacing scenes.

Kendra--I haven't read that, so I can't speak to the similarities, I'm afraid. But it is pretty exciting! I sped through it in two sittings.

message 13: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren I'm afraid to read this without a sequel! But so happy to hear you loved.

message 14: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jan 26, 2015 06:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling Yeah--I think you'd like this, but there are things that will also bother you about this, Lauren. YOU KNOW WHAT.

message 15: by Kendra (new) - added it

Kendra My bad, grimdark is a genre "used to describe a setting or situation in a fictional work that is considered dark, depressive, violent or edgy". :-)

This book sounds awesome though.

Wendy Darling Huh, I've never heard that before! That's interesting, thanks for filling me in.

And welll...this one does have violence and is fairly dramatic/serious, but I wouldn't necessarily call it grim. Not sure what the parameters for that label are, I'll have to look into it!

Giselle YEA! You liked it! Much more excited now

Wendy Darling Yeah, it's good, Giselle. Not perfect, but very, very good.

message 19: by Highwind (new) - added it

Highwind So it's a series after all? It just seemed like everyone said it was supposed to be a standalone book.

Giovanni Such a good book I can't wait for A sequel