William Dicks's Reviews > Pulpit Crimes

Pulpit Crimes by James R. White

Feb 08, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: all-my-books, church-commentary, preaching, read-2014

In this book, James White was preaching to the choir (that is me). The book is about the fact that so many preachers mishandle the Bible in their preaching, demeanor, etc. He handles everything from bad interpretation of the Bible all the way to women pastors. The content matter is good, and if you are concerned with the level of preachers today, then this is the book for you. Also, if you are not concerned about the level of our preachers today, then you should also be reading this book, so you can learn how these preachers have been cheating you out of good solid meat from the Scriptures.

James White is one of my favourite authors, but I have to say that this book probably wasn't well edited. There are several grammar and simple sentence construction errors that were missed by the spell checker. Here are a few:

p108: "I had the opportunity to challenging him on a drive-time radio program."
p82: "He directly and asked this pastor about the exclusive claims of Christ."
p82: "He then spoke of traveling to non-Christian nations and how he could tell those of a completely different faith 'loved God' and were 'sincere.'"
p143: "So though Paul and provided the truth with clarity, his words are often hidden from sight..."

If you are willing to look past these types of errors, then this is indeed a good introduction to what a preacher is supposed to do and preach, and who may preach from the pulpit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pulpit Crimes.

February 8, 2014 – Shelved