Vivian Blaxell's Reviews > Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love So Much More

Redefining Realness by Janet Mock

Feb 07, 2014

Although the narrative trajectory pretty much follows the same arc as all trans stories, Mock's account is tellingly complicated by the stories of how her color, her hybridity and her socioeconomic class played in and out of her trans experiences and possibilities. Mock also complicates the traditional trans narrative by politicizing experiences and processes at strategic points along the way, and sometimes doing so in new ways: for example, she deftly subverts the prevailing and oppressive notion that coming out for trans people is being open about their birth gender, when coming out for trans men and women is in fact to be open about their true gender. I do wonder, however, how this subversion fits with the framework Mock chooses for the story, which is the revelation of her birth gender and trans story to a man she is coming to love; in some ways trans outness always devolves onto the birth gender. it is never irrelevant. I read this very deft and emotionally charged story in 2 quick sessions and after each session I felt at once as though I'd been punched in the belly and illuminated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redefining Realness.

Finished Reading