Cheeky Cher's Reviews > Dept. of Speculation

Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill

did not like it
bookshelves: abandoned-dnf

1 star - I really hated it.

DNF'd at 10% (a whopping 15 minutes of reading, maybe). Turns out it is a collection of random gibberish. Here are two excerpts that speak for themselves:

To live in a city is to be forever flinching. The Buddhists say there are 121 states of consciousness. Of these, only three involve misery or suffering. Most of us spend our time moving back and forth between these three.
Blue jays spend every Friday with the devil, the old lady at the park told me.
“You need to get out of that stupid city,” my sister said. “Get some fresh air.” Four years ago, she and her husband left.

One night you played a track you’d made for me. An ice cream truck overlaid with the sound of gulls at Coney Island and the Wonder Wheel spinning.
It is stupid to have a telescope in the city, but we bought one anyway.
That year I didn’t travel alone. I’ll meet you there, you said.

-------------------------------------------
First Sentence: Antelopes have 10× vision, you said.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dept. of Speculation.

February 7, 2014 – Shelved
September 7, 2015 – Started Reading
Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Joe (last edited Sep 07, 2015 04:16PM) (new)

Joe Valdez Offill answers at least one question for me. Will I read her novel? I believe the answer there is "no."

message 2: by Dem (new)

Dem And moving on swiftly ...... Lol! Hope you're not read is better than this Cher.

message 3: by Caroline (new)

Caroline This was on my TBR until I flipped through it at the bookstore and saw all this crap. I couldn't agree with you more.

message 4: by Trisia (new)

Trisia Thank you for saving me the trouble, will I read this book....don't think so!

message 5: by Debbie "DJ" (new) - added it

Debbie "DJ" I was randomly looking for my next read, read the first few pages of this and thought, nope. Looks like I won't be going back to it if the whole book is like the beginning! Thanks. :)

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol This is one of those with various ratings, love and hate. I'm keeping it on my list for the time being.

Aetroop I so agree with your rating. I read this book for a library book club and we all agreed it was rubbish. It was like she wrote this novel as random thoughts on the back of her old grocery receipts and hustled shuffled them and said "there my book is done".

Cheeky Cher Aetroop wrote: "I so agree with your rating. I read this book for a library book club and we all agreed it was rubbish. It was like she wrote this novel as random thoughts on the back of her old grocery receipts a..."

Lol! Then I am glad I didn't waste any more time on it, Aetroop.

Carol I agree. I liked the idea of the book, it was an easy read but it was so much rambling. As if she wrote down every insane thought that came into her head.The thoughts of her daughter were nice but most of it was ramblings of a lost stupid person.

Cheeky Cher Were you able to finish the book, Carol? If so, I am assuming it was more of the same throughout?

message 11: by Carol (new) - rated it 1 star

Carol After about 2/3 through I just scanned the rest.