Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > Dr. 2

Dr. 2 by Peter Tieryas

This review is courtesy of an Advanced Review Copy through the good folks at NetGalley.

There's not a lot I can say about Dr. 2, except for one large, embossed word in sixty-foot-high letters - MORE.

It's an opening chapter, with a quick intro on the titular protagonist and his profession as a sort of criminologist/coroner/private investigator/acid-rain victim. As such, it does its job pretty well. The visuals give off an inspiration from Sin City, particularly the Yellow Bastard arc with spots of technicolour dotting the black-white-grey palette appealingly well, and when the panels go closer to show facial definition or detail on particular elements they look gorgeous.

I don't get an awful lot of a sense of who Dr. 2 is specifically, except that he's a man of few words and not in the mood to street-race a bunch of racist kids. But that's ok; there's enough there to make me want to see more of who he is and what he's after, and the expository radio broadcast detailing the situation of the crapsack world in which the good doctor resides gives a nice, if overly anvilicious, orientational portrait of the setting.

The only problem area so far is dialogue; it's clunky, cliche and a little trite in places. Since there's not a lot of it as compared to the visuals it's hard to judge properly, but I feel like Dr. 2 is channeling several decent detective movies without much in the way of innovation. Maybe with time that'll change, but the opening lines between the doctor and his police informant at the murder scene didn't really evoke much from me besides "Huh, so this guy's a combo of Batman and Sam Spade, is he?"

It's a good beginning, though short, and definitely worth a look.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dr. 2.

February 6, 2014 – Started Reading