Angela's Reviews > Making Light of Tragedy

Making Light of Tragedy by Jessica Grant

Feb 06, 2014

liked it

Because I loved Come Thou Tortoise when I read it a few years ago, I was keen to read Jessica Grant's first published collection of short stories. Short stories by Canadian women are, in fact, my very favourite reading material. I anticipated Grant's quirky take on things and, yes, these stories are odd. My opinion is that her novel is more mature, more refined and I prefer it. However, I am reminded that many fiction writers cut their teeth on short stories and Making Light of Tragedy shows glimpses of the brilliance that is to come. My favourite story is called "The Loss of Thalia" because it is quite complex and it demands that you pay attention. Grant plays on the love triangle motif but twists it with a "fourth corner." The story unfolds through the eyes of all four "corners" in turn as they discuss (or keep secret) and act out (or avoid): love, fidelity, jealousy and fire drills. "Della Renfrew" was also a favourite with its audacious narrator and I especially identified with the main character in "Dean of Humanity." I'd recommend this collection to a short story lover and to a CanLit lover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Light of Tragedy.

February 6, 2014 – Shelved