Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius*'s Reviews > Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

bookshelves: historical-romance, time-travel, 2012, lots-of-drinking

*This review will be a little spoily, read it at your own risk*

“Ok, so I set the date on 2012….and set it for Kansas City Kansas…..Kemper’s deck. I think all I have to do is reverse the directions on Google maps on the laptop. Uh…..turn the key. Yay, it works.”

“Or I thought so, Toto I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore (had to do it!).”

“Hello Stephanie. Toto……I love the Wizard of Oz.”

“Aaaaack! Claire Beachum Randel Fraser! You just scared the piss out of me. Don’t sneak up on a person sitting on a time mower, and whisper in their ear. It’s downright creepy.” Sighs. “Hey Claire, you look a little older than the last time I saw you,moments ago , but don’t worry you still look young and fresh and beautiful.”

“Oh thank you Stephanie, I have to admit that people mention that a lot! I mean a lot! It must have been all that whiskey and malnutrition in the 1700’s that preserved me.”

“Well, Claire, could you fill me in on the when and the where this is?”

“Still in Scotland, but we’re in 1968. Frank, Brianna and I moved to the States where I became a doctor. We stayed there until Frank passed away. I brought Brianna back to get her acquainted with her roots.”

“Brianna is your daughter? Is that her over there? Wow! Tall, beautiful…..look at that mane of red hair. She looks just like her father Jam….mph…nni. “

“Keep your voice down, she doesn’t know that Frank wasn’t her biological father. I brought her here to break the news and tell her who her father really was……Jamie Frasier.”

“Get your hand off my mouth…that’s rude! Did Frank look just like Jamie?”

“No. Total opposites. Frank was short and had dark hair.”

“She doesn’t look much like you, and nothing like Frank, she is an Amazonian redhead. She didn’t once ask you about that?”

“Not once. Did I mention the whiskey and the malnutrition?”

“Claire, don’t tell me. You drank alcohol during your pregnancy? You were a trained nurse then; don’t tell me you didn’t know better!”

“Just a little…..bottle…….every day, Stephanie, we didn’t know any better back then.”

“Ok, never mind. If she never grasped the fact that Frank wasn’t her father on her own because of possible fetal alcohol syndrome, how is she supposed to understand time travel now?”

“You have a point there. Maybe I’ll find a young handsome historian to help explain things to her.”

“I don’t see the logic, but you go with it Claire. I’m afraid to ask, but what were you and Jamie up to during the rest of the time you were back in time, besides getting drunk and having lots of sex?”

“We tried to change history by joining the Jacobite cause and save a bunch of lives. We went to France to get this accomplished. I had to have sex with the King of France to get Jamie out of The Bastille; it wasn’t very good on account of his tiny penis. “

“Oh dear god…..I did ask. “

“Yes you did. And guess who we ran into? Jack Randel! Jamie wanted to kill him straight away, but I stopped him because I was afraid Frank would never be born if he killed him. Jack is Frank’s ancestor you see.”

“I see……but I thought you killed Jack Randle with cows, which didn’t seem to upset you at all at the time. Now you get all angry about it? ”

“I changed my mind. Turns out it wasn’t Jack trampled by the cows. It’s really hard to identify someone after a trampling.”

“But Claire, you tried to change the course of history without ANY concern for the consequences. Any number of people could have been born that wouldn’t have and others who were never born that should have…….and you are concerned NOW about Frank, one person, never existing? Oh my head hurts again.”

“Claire it’s been great, but I have to get this timemower back to its rightful owner, he has a short fuse. There we go……forgot to hit enter. Please, don’t mess with history anymore Claire. Promise?”

“um…..sure, Stephanie, I promise.”

“I don’t believe you……”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonfly in Amber.

January 12, 2010 – Shelved
February 4, 2012 – Started Reading
February 22, 2012 – Shelved as: historical-romance
February 22, 2012 – Shelved as: time-travel
February 22, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 21, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
August 6, 2014 – Shelved as: lots-of-drinking

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)

message 1: by Kemper (new)

Kemper 1) Quit stealing my time mower!

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Kemper wrote: "1) Quit stealing my time mower!
2) "Toto I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore." - You are now officially on double secret probation."

Sorry, I tried to bring it back but I ended up in1968 Scotland! If you had given me better instructions before I stole it we wouldn't have this problem. And about Toto....had to.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Is the time mower like the TARDIS? It might not take you where you want to go but will take you where you need to go?

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Robert wrote: "Is the time mower like the TARDIS? It might not take you where you want to go but will take you where you need to go?"

Ah.....good point Robert, maybe so.

message 5: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Awesome!

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Brandon wrote: "Awesome!"

Thanks!

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Heh. Precious pup! To write such cleverness, oh the pride.

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Richard wrote: "Heh. Precious pup! To write such cleverness, oh the pride."

Thanks papa!

Tracy This is an awesome review!!

message 10: by AA (new) - rated it 2 stars

AA This review = better than the book.

I mean that as a compliment. No, really! (:

message 12: by Barb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barb Gabbert Hahaha best review ever!

Marietta Johnson Very clever review! Most entertaining review I've seen yet!!

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Marietta wrote: "Very clever review! Most entertaining review I've seen yet!!"

Oh, thank you so much Marietta!

message 15: by Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* (last edited Jan 07, 2013 11:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* And...Thanks Barb....a little late :)

message 16: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Spiffy new avatar!

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Richard wrote: "Spiffy new avatar!"

Thanks :)

message 18: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Great review!

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Dee wrote: "Great review!"

Thanks!

Robin d.y.i.n.g.

Denise Loved your review. I thought the same thing about Claire's drinking. I drank some beer one time when I was pregnant and 44 years later I still feel guilty that my poor little fetus was drunk. I understand that drinking the water was dangerous but Claire was a lush.

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Denise wrote: "Loved your review. I thought the same thing about Claire's drinking. I drank some beer one time when I was pregnant and 44 years later I still feel guilty that my poor little fetus was drunk. I und..."

Thanks guys! I don't know how anyone would survive the alcohol intake they all ingested.

Ariana Love your review! Very entertaining! I actually laughed out loud.

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Ariana wrote: "Love your review! Very entertaining! I actually laughed out loud."

Yay!! Stay tuned for another one .....and thanks!

Vampiregirl14 I just began reading this book. This review is hysterical and very clever!

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Vampiregirl14 wrote: "I just began reading this book. This review is hysterical and very clever!"

Thank you so much.

Nicole Chase A+ review!

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Nicole wrote: "A+ review!"

Thanks! I love getting good grades!

Howard Meyer This is a well-spun tale that is sure to appeal to readers of fantasy and sci-fi, as well as readers of more traditional romance and adventure novels.

message 30: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Thanks for the heads up

message 31: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane LOL, thanks for the chuckles. 😀

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Jane wrote: "LOL, thanks for the chuckles. 😀"

You’re welcome.

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Nenia ❄ Queen of the Snowflake Brigade ❄ wrote: "Wait...I feel like I 'liked' this before. Oh well. Extra like for you. ;-)"

Thanks! I reviewed.... I think all of these books.... in the interview format. So you may be thinking of one of those reviews.

message 36: by Lina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lina Great summary Stephanie, my feelings pretty much.

Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* Lina wrote: "Great summary Stephanie, my feelings pretty much."

Thank you!