Valerie Tarico's Reviews > 13:24

13 by M. Dolon Hickmon

U 50x66

I was sent an advance proof in exchange for a candid review and surprised myself by actually reading the whole thing! Here is my take:

A forensic thriller with heart and soul—and a brain.

In 13:24, it’s always clear who done it. The question is why. 13:24 weaves together the stories of two anti-heroes, one a tattooed and muscled singer who specializes in Satanic heavy metal with violent lyrics; the other a teen fan on a murder spree. But just beneath the surface, both are achingly vulnerable. As they struggle to claim some modicum of sanity, dignity, and love from a dark web that has consumed their lives, the reader is dragged into a sordid subculture made all the more disturbing because we suspect it may be real.

13:24 reads like a Hollywood blockbuster; I finished it in a single trans-continental flight. But like its layered protagonists, the story challenges some time-honored assumptions about authority and spirituality. Where is the line between bdsm and abuse? Where is the line between childrearing and subjugation? What happens when the four become one in the broken body and mind of a wounded child? In scene after unflinching scene, these questions play out against the backdrop of an edgy music subculture and page-turning race against the clock that will determine who is the final victim.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 13.

Started Reading