Julie's Reviews > Betrayals of the Heart

Feb 06, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, suspense

Check out more of my reviews at Little Miss Bookmark

This one started out really strong for me. The author just throws you into the middle of Makayla's story and while some might find that confusing, I LOVE IT when author's start off their adventure that way. Right off the bat, you hate Makayla's husband. He seems to be a sadistic bastard that everyone's nightmares revolve around. This Steven character is the monster under your bed, the bad guy in the closet. As scary as it is, I'm sure there is more than one actual person like this in the world. Man. He just gave me the creeps.
Ohnoutka can sure write a good bad guy.

Once Ryan enters the story, that's when I'm officially hooked. I love his character. I like how his character develops as the story and the connection with Makayla feels genuine and heartfelt.

Now ... all of that being said ... after about halfway through the book ... I just totally lost interest. I don't know why. The ending was great, I was a bit surprised how everything came to a head and I really enjoyed how all of the events and characters finished things off but the meat of the story was a little ... meh. It really bothers me to say that because I did get really invested in what was going on between Makayla and her husband and then with Ryan. I felt almost robbed. I think that I kinda wanted the beginning part with Ryan to take more pages. A lot more. I really enjoyed the give and take between Makayla, Ryan and Michael during that time period.

Anyhow ... pretty good book till about half way ... I would definitely give this author another shot since I liked the beginning of the book so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayals of the Heart.

February 6, 2014 – Started Reading
February 6, 2014 – Shelved
February 6, 2014 –
February 7, 2014 –
February 8, 2014 –
64.0% "Uh oh... the story is starting to get a little boring... hope something happens soon..."
February 8, 2014 – Finished Reading