Dan's Reviews > Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War

Deer Hunting with Jesus by Joe Bageant

Jan 12, 2010

Read in January, 2010

Wow, what an engaging book. Written during the years following G.W. Bush's re-election, Joe Bageant sets out to explain to baffled liberals, progressives and intellectuals what exactly went wrong in November of 2004. Why did millions of poor, white, working-class people come out in droves to vote against their better interests?

Over the course of the book's eight chapters, Bageant goes from describing the everyday life of the white, working poor class; the history of the American gun-culture and religious fundamentalism; thee mortgage racket and the crisis in heath care; and what he calls the "American Holligram," which is the image and myths of "The American Dream," pumped into the minds of Americans 24/7 via the media and corporate influence. (For a taste of what he's getting at, I recommend reading this transcript of three talks he gave to colleges in 2009.)

Written with a wry sense of wit, humor and commentary, this is the kind of book that I would like to give to my very left-leaning AND right-leaning relatives and friends to read. There's something in it for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deer Hunting with Jesus.