C.G. Drews's Reviews > Siege and Storm

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, read-2015, young-adult, reread, read-2019
Read 2 times. Last read March 6, 2019 to March 8, 2019.

Read 2 | March 2019

Now oddly enough I didn't love this as much the second time! It's still a solid 4-stars, but I remember thinking this was the best of the trilogy? huh. my main thing is: wow it was slow. The travelling scenes, the political chats around a war table...I'm just like, my son, I thought there was a lot more action and banter here. But the finale is frikkin fantastic. And I will take every second I can with Nikolai, who is a gift to this world and absolutely knows it. Bless his deceitful slytherin happy soul.

(Also utterly glowering at Mal for that scene where he thinks Alina rejects him and then he goes off in a storming tantrum? can we talk about toxic masculinity, mate.)

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧
Read 1 | April 2015

That was incredible. WHICH PLEASES ME GREATLY. I've had a whole run of 3-star reads and then I couldn't really remember the plot of Shadow and Bone & Siege and Storm (AGH!!) but thank goodness for the Recaptains blog recap on book 1. It saved my life, quite frankly. And made me love book 2 so so much.

OKAY. LEMME WRITE A LIST. And this'll probably have spoilers for book 1, but only little teeny tiny ones. Like the fact that Mal and Alina are sort of a thing and the Darkling is abroad in the universe being darkling-ish. As he does.

THINGS I LIKED A LOT:

+ I loved Alina's journey into dark and villainy. Gosh, that sounds awful of me BUT I SPEAK TRUTH! She's really really changed and I love her character development. Talk about EPIC. She's gotten so much darker, and she likes the power. And at the same time she's torn between wanting to save the world and being good and yada ya. Basically she rocks. And she's a little scary.
+ Sturmhond. THAT IS ALL. oh. my. gosh, peoples, he is ADORABLE. He's like Jack Sparrow meets Thorne from Scarlet. He's sassy and funny and quick. AND he's smart. He's like a super-smart dude who invents stuff (like flying boats) and wants the best for his kingdom and afdjslk, I love Sturmhond. (view spoiler)
+ As always, Russia-ish fantasy rocks. I've had enough of Eastern Europe fantasy to last a life time so THANK THE SNOWY PINNACLES for this delicious Russian blast. Although, I noticed, it's almost steampunky here. They actually have pistols and inventions. So super super refreshing.
+ I really love the writing style! It keeps my eyeballs glued to the page! I wasn't even skimming in this book! (I'm a notorious skimmer.) And the humour was A+. I was giggling all over the place.

STUFF I DIDN'T LIKE, AND BASICALLY MADE ME SCREAM:

+ Mal. Oh, Mal. Oh, go jump off a cliff, perhaps? I feel mildly bad (pfft, I do not) for not liking OR shipping him with ALina but Mal has issues. He's the "main love interest" but he's so self-involved and dramatic. Things go wrong, he goes off and sulks. Alina's struggling with massive power and darkness and freaking out of her MIND?! What does Mal do? Has a tantrum because she flinched when he touched her. YEAH MAL, MAYBE THE GIRL IS SUFFERING FROM PTSD, EH? He's so so self-involved! He's not there for her. She's trying to save the world and do the right thing politically and now she has to be there so his feelings don't get hurt? PUH-LEASE. I don't like Mal.
+ Not as much action as I was hoping for. Although, don't get me wrong, this is NOT a filler sequel-blues book. It's incredible and I loved it. The beginning is really exciting, but the last 40% was sort of political and talkative and invention-y and just...eh. I was too angry at Mal the whole time and didn't really enjoy it.
+ CLIFFHANGER. ARGHH!!! I'm joking. This isn't bad. It did make me scream, but I LOVE cliffhangers. I want book 3, asap. (And my library doesn't have it, so yeah, that's me crying in the corner over there.)

THIS BOOK IS GREAT. I was a bit dubious and worried I wouldn't love it, considering I wasn't in love with book 1 (I totally enjoyed book 1, I just wasn't as taken as most readers seem to be). I love Russia-ness. I love Alina. I love that I hate Darkling. I love Sturmhond.

Mostly, though, to be honest, I love Sturmhond.

NOTABLE QUOTES OF AWESOME:

“I took a breath. “Your highness—”
“Nikolai,” he corrected. “But I’ve also been known to answer to ‘sweetheart’ or ‘handsome.”

Mal crossed his arms and considered the privateer. "I can't decide if you're crazy or stupid."
"I have so many good qualities," Sturmhond said. "It can be hard to choose.”

“You heard Prince Perfect," Mal said, and joined us at the table.

“You just punched a prince, Alina. I guess we can add one more act of treason to our list.”
I shook out my sore hand. My knuckles smarted. “First of all, are we so sure he really is a prince? And second, you’re just jealous.”
“Of course I’m jealous. I thought I was going to get to punch him. That isn’t the point.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siege and Storm.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“Watch yourself, Nikolai,” Mal said softly. “Princes bleed just like other men.”
Nikolai plucked an invisible piece of dust from his sleeve. “Yes,” he said. “They just do it in better clothes.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I took a breath. “Your highness—”

Leigh Bardugo
“You’re mad,” I said. “You know what he can do. No prize is worth that.”
Sturmhond grinned. “That remains to be seen.”
“The Darkling will hunt you for the rest of your days.”
“Then you and I will have something in common, won’t we? Besides, I like to have powerful enemies. Makes me feel important.”
Mal crossed his arms and considered the privateer. “I can’t decide if you’re crazy or stupid.”
“I have so many good qualities,” Sturmhond said. “It can be hard to choose.”

Leigh Bardugo
“You heard Prince Perfect," Mal said, and joined us at the table. Nikolai grinned. "I've had a lot of nicknames, but that one is easily the most accurate.”

Leigh Bardugo
“That's a good fellow,' Sturmhond said to Ivan. 'Now, I'll take the prisoner back to her quarters, and you can run off and do . . . whatever it is you do when everyone else is working.'
Ivan scowled. 'I don't think—'
'Clearly. Why start now?”

Leigh Bardugo
“Of course not," said Sturmhond. "Anything worth doing always starts as a bad idea.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Sturmhond had a way of talking that made me want to shoot someone. Preferably him.”

February 5, 2014 – Shelved
February 5, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
April 14, 2015 – Started Reading
April 14, 2015 –
page 111
25.52% "Did we just meet Jack Sparrow??! HELLLO STURMHOND."
April 15, 2015 –
page 275
63.22% "Ooh, they're going to a party? I predict DEATH and DESTRUCTION."
April 15, 2015 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
April 15, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
April 15, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 15, 2015 – Finished Reading
March 6, 2019 – Started Reading
March 6, 2019 –
page 80
18.52% "continuing my reread so I can get to King of Scars...

...also shout out to the scene where Sturmhond literally told everyone to give Mal some space so he could have some "brooding time". I love Sturmhond so muchhhhh."
March 6, 2019 –
page 133
30.79% "omg Nikolai's parents think he's at a university in Ketterdam 😂😂 Jesper was also supposed to be at said university in Ketterdam (in Six of Crows). Does anyone actually go there or do they all just run off to join the criminal underworld :')"
March 8, 2019 – Shelved as: reread
March 8, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
March 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

La La Yaassss!

Rosy Cait, I've finally read this, and OMG I AM ON THE STURMHOND SHIP. Seriously, the wit! The banter! My baby! CAPTAIN, PERMISSION TO BOARD THIS SHIP.

C.G. Drews @Rosy: JOIN ME ON THE STURHUND SHIP FOREVER OMG. HE IS THE LIFE OF THIS SERIES AND THERE IS NO DOUBT.

Nicky I think the thing with Mal, I just wrote my review (which will not be up till 3rd Jan, what is this planning ahead?!), and the thing that gets me is that there's this whole thing that he liked Alina BEFORE and I think we're meant to see this as purer somehow? But all I can see is that he liked being hero worshipped by her, liked getting to protect her, liked getting to feel all special because he was the ~only one who saw it~. And now she's changing and other people saw it and he's a jealous puppy.

Nur Raihan Haha I like all of Nikolai's response to certain situation! He's so adorable.