Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > Batman: Li'l Gotham, Vol. 1

Batman by Dustin Nguyen

liked it

This review is courtesy of an Advance Review Copy through the good folks at NetGalley.

It seems most of the major publishers are keen on chibi or mini-esque versions of their properties. Marvel has Skottie Young's current portfolio, Dark Horse are playing with "Itty Bitty Hellboy" and DC has Li'l Gotham.

While I normally wouldn't check out tales of tykes fighting crime and spending their weekends engaging in being cute and creating hilarious dust clouds through punch-ups, since most of these stories tend to be aimed at audiences not yet old enough for multiplication tables, Li'l Gotham actually came as a surprise. The short stories in this volume hit more towards Pixar-levels of humour rather than the broader strokes that kid-friendly entries like Disney and DreamWorks usually strive for. There are enough jokes in Li'l Gotham for the adults and under-10s alike without dipping into inappropriate territory (though I do find the notion of a chibi-esque Zatanna wearing fishnets in a kids book to be questionable), and more often than not I laughed quite heartily at some of the self-aware dialogue about how ridiculous the notions of both superhero fiction and the mini-mes in this story really are.

Each story centres on a different yearly holiday and cycles through phases of having Batman, Robin and several assorted villains as the central protagonists. While a lot of it's nice enough on the surface there are moments of deep here and there, particularly in a sympathetic Mr Freeze-centred chapter that reads almost like a "F**k you" to the far more creepy work that recent writers like Scott Snyder have done with the character.

While the story and dialogue are both well-presented and entertaining, artwork is a mess. I've liked Dustin Nguyen's work when many of my colleagues haven't (with Heart of Hush being a particular standout for me) and Derek Fridolfs has had some good stuff going before, but it just falls apart here. The use of a watercolour scheme as opposed to the usual full-lipped illustrations Nguyen and Fridolfs usually provide is ambitious, but falls down when the lack of distinct character lines and dominance of single-colour background palettes causes things to blur together a little. There are also several panels where dialogue seems disjointed in its positioning, causing the reader to check out panels referencing previous dialogue that hasn't been read yet. It's a shame since I really like some of the cuter representations of characters on the page when compared to the usual midget-superhero fare, so some better clarity of art style later on would be helpful.

Li'l Gotham is definitely worth a read, but is not much more than a temporary piece of popcorn fun entertainmenty thing. The novelty's fun but will probably wear off by the end. Still, not a bad book at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

February 5, 2014 – Shelved