aleida moreno's Reviews > This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color

This Bridge Called My Back by Cherríe L. Moraga

bookshelves: favorites

describing anything using the phrase "life changing" is not common for me. i can appreciate things, and notice their impact on my life and appreciate that, but i have never felt overwhelmingly changed by a piece of literature until i read this bridge called my back. i read the book in a few sittings because i would weep with every individual selection sometimes out of admiration, sometimes out of pain, sometimes out of anger for the situations of the speaker. there was not a single occasion where i read anything from this book and did not cry. it was a revelation.

when it comes to queer issues and queer history all we get is a whitewashed accounts on how everything started. everything started with stonewall. no one remembers the Cooper's donut shop riots, or the ones at Dewey's or the Compton cafeteria riots--we are not taught to recognize these events as things that shaped queer history. everything began with stonewall and the fight for queer rights was always fought by white people. this is what i was taught, inadvertently (or not, perhaps).

when i read this bridge called my back i realized there were women like me even back then. there were women struggling for rights! there were women of color creating as a way to express their oppression! there were women of color who collaborated to create a very important anthology. this book is theory, this book is poetry, this book is history. this book is life changing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Bridge Called My Back.

February 5, 2014 – Shelved