Yu Xuan's Reviews > The Headhunters Race

The Headhunters Race by Kimberly Afe

liked it
bookshelves: ya, arc, dystopia, sci-fi
Recommended for: Fans of The Hunger Games

I got this an ARC from Goodreads

A simple and extremely quick read.

This story is basically about inmates who can enter a race and if they are first, they will earn freedom. Or if they come second place, they'll get upgraded to a leisure prison thing-o.

Plot
In this dystopian world, I wish there was actually info dumping so I knew what was going on. Like what is the Killing Plague and how does the government work? I would like more descriptions about the prison.
The book as a whole felt really rushed. I was expecting more descriptions and length in the race since that's what the title of the book is. It started off alright. The middle just flopped and didn't have any tension or make me feel anything.bHowever, I wouldn't exactly call the it boring since little bits of information kept me interested and boring would also mean getting a rating of 1 or 2 stars. I feel like I could just read the first and last few chapters and I still would have good knowledge about the whole book. The book did end strongly and I'm looking forward to what happen next.

Romance
Thanks gods this book does not have a pathetic love triangle or a relationship with a stalking douchebag. I nearly cried in relief when this was just a normal sweet relationship. I loved how McCoy was protective without being a Xavier (from Halo) and Avene's thoughts wasn't all about McCoy and/or how hot he is. Good to see that she has priorities...
This book also earns brownie points for a not describing the eyes of the love interest every second page.

Characters
Although the characters aren't cliqued or make me face-palm everything they say a word, I feel that the characters lacked enough depth. Yes, they weren't a cardboard cutout but I think more backstory or some other way to reveal more info about them is necessary.

Avene- protagonist
Avene is a 16 year old girl who is in prison for killing her mum, a crime she didn't commit. In order to earn her freedom she enters a race. She become unwilling allies with McCoy and Jake. I liked how she knew how to survive and doesn't become all putty at the hands of her love interest. She seems very real in that, she KNOWS how to hunt and use knives but isnt invincible to the point of unbelievable. Overall, she is a great character and a good change in all the annoying protagonists in ya literature.

An average book but I hope there is a sequel because I'm wondering what happens next...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Headhunters Race.

February 4, 2014 – Shelved