Laurel-Rain's Reviews > Love Story, With Murders

Love Story, With Murders by Harry Bingham

In Wales, a series of body parts start showing up, and by the time they are identified, we know that there are two murdered individuals. Are they connected? DC Fiona Griffiths is on the case, and in her own strange way, is pursuing clues that could lead to something.

"Love Story, With Murders: A Novel," unfolds in the first person narrative of Fiona, whom we soon learn has some issues. Fairly serious issues, but somehow she also comes across as quirky and somewhat likeable. Another aspect to her story: she was found in the back of a car (her adoptive father's) when she was a toddler. She is somewhat obsessed with discovering who she was, and if that history might somehow explain the serious psychological disorder (Cotard's Syndrome) she suffered as a teenager.

Fiona's view of those around her could be significantly distorted by her issues, and even her findings could be suspect at times. But strangely enough, she seems to do fairly well at her job. She also finds herself in dangerous situations more often than others, possibly because of the way she approaches situations.

The best part of this story, in my opinion, is rambling along with Fiona, watching her work, and discovering the paths her mind takes.

But will she and the other officers solve the murders? Will they bring down the bad guys, or are they all on a path to nowhere?

There is also a bit of a romance going on between Fiona and another officer nicknamed Buzz...this adds a bit of fun to what might otherwise be a rather grim story.

I liked the short sentences the author uses to intensify our suspense. His style, like this excerpt, kept me intrigued:

"Lunch.
"Oh my God. Lunch.
"It doesn't start well. Me late. Watkins shivering on the brink of something nuclear—perhaps only the tactical-battlefield version of nuclear, because six and a half minutes late is only six and a half minutes, even in Watkins-land—but still on the brink of detonation...."

Watkins is Fiona's superior and often lashes out at everyone, and Fiona seems to bear the brunt of it more often than others...possibly because of her work style. But recent events have changed some of that.

The pages turn quickly, as the writer's style is conducive to moving along rapidly, wondering what will happen next. Sometimes I forget about the gruesome images in my head that landed there with the descriptions of the body parts...but only sometimes. In the end, everything doesn't come together in quite the way you might wish...just as in real life. And because there are some loose ends, we know that a sequel is on the way. Just as there was a first book in this series, which I probably should have read first. A satisfying story, that went on a bit longer than I liked. Four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Story, With Murders.

February 4, 2014 – Shelved