Joe's Reviews > Surface Detail

Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks

Surface Detail is a 5-star interesting story with a 3-star ending. It suffers from a degree of the lack of follow-through inflicting other Culture novels. However, most of the major themes did come together in the end, so it wasn't bad. Heck, the first half was so captivating and invigorating, full of interesting situations and characters to love and hate, I even went on record as hopeful for a top 5 SF novel. But, alas, no.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surface Detail.

February 4, 2014 – Shelved
February 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-buy-read
February 10, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
November 18, 2014 – Started Reading
November 18, 2014 –
page 100
15.53% "As much as I enjoyed Excession, I was disappointed in the wrap-up. Previously, I had come to believe that Excession and Surface Detail were the good ones I hadn't yet read. I didn't know what to think after Excession, so I dove into Surface Detail immediately to avoid putting it off forever. So far I am pleased with my decision."
November 30, 2014 –
page 364
56.52% "Surface Detail is 627 pages. I'm 364 pages into the highest quality story setup I can recall. I hold that delicious feeling of excited anticipation as I move toward the wrap-up phase of the story. Despite the tendency of Culture novels to finish poorly, in my opinion, I remain hopeful for another exception. I predict an personal, all-time top 5 SF ranking if Banks concluded this novel as well as he started it."
December 5, 2014 – Finished Reading