Chris's Reviews > A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains

A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains by Isabella Lucy Bird

bookshelves: autobiography, owned, 2015, travel, historical, american-west, done, letters

Very good tale, written in a series of letters to her sister in England, of Isabella Lucy Bird's extensive (and mostly solitary) travels in the Colorado Rocky Mountains during the late summer and fall of 1873. I am in complete awe of her - I'm pretty sure I would've curled up into a little ball and refused to continue once the temperature plummeted! And I enjoyed her compulsively readable style enough that I will definitely read more of her travels (some of which you can find at Project Gutenberg).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains.

Quotes Chris Liked

Isabella Lucy Bird
“Everything suggests a beyond.”

Isabella Lucy Bird
“I sat down and knitted for some time - my usual resource under discouraging circumstances.”

Isabella Lucy Bird
“Yet, after all, they were not bad souls; and though he failed so grotesquely, he did his incompetent best.”

Isabella Lucy Bird
“In traveling, there is nothing like dissecting people's statements, which are usually colored by their estimate of the powers or likings of the person spoken to, making all reasonable inquiries, and then pertinaciously but quietly carrying out one's own plans.”

Isabella Lucy Bird
“I dreamt of bears so vividly that I woke with a furry death hug at my throat, but feeling quite refreshed.”
tags: dreams

January 11, 2010 – Shelved
March 23, 2015 – Started Reading
March 23, 2015 –
page 3
1.06% "For the record, my copy's cover looks nothing like that, tho the isbn is the same. Mine looks like this:\n "
March 23, 2015 –
page 17
6.03% "Isabella Bird has the gift of understatement: "I dreamt of bears so vividly that I woke with a furry death hug at my throat, but feeling quite refreshed.""
March 25, 2015 –