Keysha's Reviews > Companions of the Night

Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde

Jan 11, 2010

bookshelves: in-my-bookshelf, read-in-2010

A dear friend of mine told me that this book has been an all time favorite for her even though she's not the biggest fan of the vampire genre. So for I bought it for Christmas and it was not until January that I decided to start reading it.

When I finished reading the book even though the plot was very interesting it didn't satisfied my readers appetite, I thought when I was done I was just done and it didn't left that feeling that I've read an amazing story. But don't get me wrong the plot is good, has a lot of suspense and action but I must warned you if you are looking for romance or a love story aka Bella & Edward then this novel is not for you.

What I did like about the book is that Vivian creates a strong lead female. Kerry was a doer. She wasn't a damsel in distress, all the contraire she was the one trying to do the saving and she even get to do it several times in the book. She's very strong headed but you see her vulnerability because she's worried about her dad and her little brother and it affects her more their disappearance because her mother left them without a word and the fact of loosing her family makes her more determine to find them alive and though she know she's doing a bargain with a Vampire and that may even cost her life she's willing to sacrifice her life for her family.

About Ethan, I'm not sure if I liked him or hate him. Since he didn't trust a human with the knowledge of the existence of vampires so I believe he never trusted her fully not until the end but in the rest of the book he was cold and sarcastic but sometimes he was very nice to her so it was a bit confusing at times maybe it was self preservation thing.

The antagonist of the story is revealed almost at the end of the book at first that person tricks you to think that he's the victim of all this situation but slowly he reveals his real purpose and what is his end game and his reasoning for doing so is so evil it was almost you were dealing with psicopath and Vivian does a wonderful job describing the character.

The final scene of the story wasn't all that I really expected more because in this moments Kerry & Ethan understand their feeling for each others but what's funny for me is that I don't understand in which part of the book they felt in love *sighs* like I said, the love part is a secondary plot and is really not important.

I hope this review would help you and like I said if you are looking forward on reading suspense and action young adult book, this is the one, it has good characters, very well written plot but believe there's no romance here so if you are looking for that this may not be the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Companions of the Night.

January 11, 2010 – Shelved
page 169
page 224
100%
page 224
100% "My first book of 2010"
Started Reading