Natalie's Reviews > Aerenden: The Gildonae Alliance

Aerenden by Kristen Taber

Kristen Taber is a great writer. The first book wasn't a fluke. The writing here maintains consistent quality. Her writing is mature and well controlled. It is no chore at all to read her words and I'm really glad I picked these books up.

This book was an improvement on the first book in many ways, but there were a couple of elements that frustrated me. Still, it was another solid read.

These books are explainy! I was more forgiving of it in the first book as well, you know, it was the first book! But that trend continues here. Sometimes the amount of detail and the fairly dispassionate explanations took away from what could have been emotional moments. For example, the scene when the meaning behind the title of the whole book is explained. That was a great moment that got a bit bogged down in explanations.

The second issue faded towards the end of the book, but the amount of time we spend alone with Nick and Meaghan was significant early on. And it was not much different from anything we saw in book one, right down to Nick's irritating ways.

I can happily report that Nick had grown on me more by the end of the book. So much so that I felt sad for him. Still, I'm glad that the final book will be starting out in the way this ending predicts!

Nick was not the only character to gain my empathy this time around. My appreciation of Cal and Meaghan increased dramatically. Right from the start of the book you see Meaghan training. She is much stronger now, and more confident in going for what she wants. Nick tries to keep her in line, but she doesn't really let him - which was a relief. Cal gets a lot more depth and I think his character is the one that comes across most clearly.

The flashes of the past that we got to witness were highlights again, particularly the first one. To the point where I feel genuinely sad that Adelina and Ed are dead. (This ain't a spoiler)

I have to admit to still being a bit unclear as to the role of the Elders and prophecies and why they needed to wait for their Queen. Hopefully this will all become clear in the final book. I also wish we had more of an idea of what Garon is all about. This certainly isn't the first book where the villain is kept at a distance, but the flashback moment had me hoping we might get to meet him. I love a good villain. Still, I look forward to that moment!

Taber's writing is easy to read and she has certainly created a world with great depth. This book still felt quite introductory is some ways, but I tore through it at a faster rate than the first and I am excited to see how it all ends!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aerenden.

February 4, 2014 – Shelved
February 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 6, 2014 – Started Reading
February 13, 2014 –
page 30
February 17, 2014 –
page 35
9.62% "Nick is still keeping secrets from Meagan *grumbles* BUT I loved how this one has started off immediately showing Meagan learning to fight. Good sign for things to come!"
February 18, 2014 –
page 90
February 18, 2014 –
page 100
27.47% "You know, I really LOVE the sections with Adelina and Ed. I kinda really wish they weren't dead! Also nice to get the first flash of Garon...who I keep wanting to call Ganon"
February 19, 2014 –
February 25, 2014 –
page 350
February 25, 2014 –
page 350
96.15% "I hate it when I have to start working just as I'm at the end of a book XD"
February 25, 2014 – Finished Reading