Rosina Lippi's Reviews > Wrongful Death

Wrongful Death by Baine Kerr

Jan 11, 2010

bookshelves: best-beloved, fiction, reviewed-here
Read in June, 2002 — I own a copy

This is one of those novels that you can't put down. I think some people might pass it by because it requires closer-than-usual reading for the first ten pages or so but I can say that I have rarely invested my reading time so well.

Wrongful Death is about things as diverse as personal injury law and the Bosnian war-crime tribunals, mother-daughter relationships and forensic pathology. And Kerr pulls it all together with such flair, you can only sit back in amazement and admiration. What is best about this novel, though, is Kerr's absolutely wonderful rendering of three very different women, each so clearly drawn and so distinct from the other that you hear their voices without trying. The next time I hear somebody claiming that men can't write women, I'll hand them this book.

I've read a lot of courtroom novels written by lawyers, and this is easily the best of the bunch. The trial sequence was so tightly constructed and so suspenseful that I found myself hold ing my breath more than once.

Wrongful Death deals with terrible tragedy, human weakness and grief, but it is, in the end, hopeful. It's one of my top ten.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrongful Death.

03/15/2016 marked as: read