Mark Stalcup's Reviews > High Fidelity

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

M 50x66
Jan 11, 2010

Read in January, 1999

I love this book, but I often try my damndest to keep it away from anybody I'm dating. Really. It cuts a little too close to the bone and I'm afraid it'd be too easy to figure me out from it. Firstly, I'm a complete and total record geek. I've been a DJ since I was 15, and I'm 40 now. Worked in a few record stores. My record collection threatens to occupy an entire room of my house; I actually care about the differences between the Beatles in mono and in stereo; I've had (and finished) at least one argument with a girlfriend solely by music I spun in a club while she was waitressing - when nobody else knew we were even fighting - and I have moments where I doubt I can get along with someone if they like crappy music like, say, Toby Keith. Add to that the fact that most of my girlfriends and past loves seem to resurface. (Dated my high school crush most of the past year; someone else I went out with three times in 1996 hunted me down on Facebook. And my love affairs are often colossal disasters where I have admittedly sometimes been a total dick, in retrospect.) Hornby nails down perfectly the mindset of those obsessed by music and love affairs, especially the subspecies of guys in their 30s equally entranced and frightened by love and growing up who overthink virtually everything. Believe me. I know my own kind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Fidelity.