K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > The Postman Always Rings Twice

bookshelves: 1001-core, sex
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Must Read Books Before You Die
Recommended for: Nenette
Read from February 09 to 11, 2010

This 1934 first novel of James M. Cain is sizzling hot. Critics say that Cain is the "hard boiled" novelist and this novel inspired Albert Camus to write his opus, The Stranger. I tend to agree with this. Both novels are minimalist in style: no excessive dramatic emotional scenes. All are too straightforward even if they are both dark and gothic.

This novel, set during the 30's Great Depression in the US, is about a married couple: Nick "The Greek" Papadakis and Cora, a femme fatale who is a bored housewife. Frank Chambers, a bum, was hired by Nick to help in their businesses: a restaurant, a gasoline station, etc. Frank at 24 is good-looking, virile and always think of sex. So, it is not a surprise that he and Cora developed an illicit affair that I find too hot that you will feel the pages burning while reading the book.

My favorite part is how Frank describes Cora's scent. I am a hetero but I just have not noticed how a woman scent can be a very important sexual stimulus. Maybe I am more of a visual person and of course unpleasant odor can be unsexy. However, Frank seems like an extraordinary stud as he seems to get aroused by Cora's scent (no mention of any cologne) more than her looks. Another favorite part is how Cora says: "Bite me! Bite me!" to Frank during their first sexual encounter. Too hot that I bet it can melt the snow in East Coast in no time if all the Americans will collectively read this slim (120 pps) in one sitting.

Of course, it helps that I watched the movie adaptation of this novel sometime during my college days in the 80's starring the luscious Jessica Lange (KingKong fame) and the manly Nicholson.

Recommended as a must read to make your 2010 Valentine's Day hot and sexy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postman Always Rings Twice.

02/10/2010 page 20

message 1: by Maria Ella (new) - added it

Maria Ella Sold. I will make this a valentine read for 2015... or if I am that excited, I might look for a copy online and make this a christmas read hehehehe