Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Crossing Stones

2281988
Jan 10, 2010

bookshelves: genre-poetry, level-young-adult, genre-historical-fiction
Read in January, 2010

I had never read anything by Helen Frost before I requested this book on inter-library loan from my library system, but I knew she wrote novels in verse and that was the main reason I chose to read this book to begin with. And having finished Crossing Stones, the story of what happens to the children of two neighboring Michigan families during 1917, when World War I and women's suffrage are both at the political forefront, I can say that the true strength of this book is the poetry.

Not only are the words in each poem carefully chosen, but every character is built so believably, and though it is essentially 'yet another YA novel about a war,' it is also a YA novel about a female protagonist who goes against the grain and tries to sort out what kind of woman she wants to be. I was a little put off by the fact that most stereotypical wartime tragedies that can befall a community happen to these two families, and I'm not sure if that was a realistic portrayal of what happened to many families in the time period, or if the author was using the small setting she created to illustrate as many tragedies as possible. But I suppose it's not entirely implausible for so much bad to happen during a time when bad things were happening every day, and I certainly loved the book even though it did give me pause. I'll be checking out her other work very soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing Stones.

12/18/2016 marked as: read-2010