Kerr's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Feb 03, 2014

bookshelves: gave-away

description

I cant decide how many stars to give this book, I feel it deserves more than 3 but not quite 4. I felt that conflict was added because it is always is and that it took away from the storyline too much.

Full review can also be found on: Paein and Ms4Tune’s Book Blog

I started to dread this book after the excitement wore off. Why? Not any reason to do with this book specifically, but sequels in general. They follow a trend. If there was a previous love triangle, this is where it gets ‘tense’, if not then most likely the two, terribly in love mains pledge to love and trust each other, then go about keeping secrets that drive an ever growing rift between them. This often sacrifices much of the storyline focus, as I felt it did here. Perhaps it was just how I feel about them, but I was quite preoccupied with how annoyed I was and don’t think I paid enough attention to the plot, though I don’t believe I missed anything. I was so disappointed when the rift came, having had a great first book with no love triangle in sight (almost unheard of!). And yet, I didn’t put the book down and walk away, I kept going, so I guess that speaks for itself.

Tris is a far stronger character than those often found in YA books, she agonised over far more reasonable things than many teen heroes do. Obviously, being sixteen, you can excuse her many of her miss-choices through lack of experience and I’m sure there are many more great things for her to do yet.

I’m rather enjoying Roth’s writing despite the annoying presence of one of the two most over used situations ever found in YA fiction. (Have you noticed I REALLY hate these two!?)

Of course, now I’m nervous about reading the last one…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

February 3, 2014 – Shelved
February 3, 2014 – Shelved as: own-to-read
February 7, 2014 – Started Reading
page 59
11.24% "what? Bwahahaha!"
page 121
23.05% "I've been picking fights with this book, getting annoyed with things that were perhaps quite reasonable and I've realised why. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. usually in a sequel there is another love interest or a massive conflict between the two mains and it annoys me because its always there and it doesnt need to be."
page 162
30.86% "ugh"
page 216
41.14% ""Ah but did you have a ledge overlooking an underground river? Or a room where you faced all your nightmares at once?" "No. And to be honest, I'm kind of ok with that.""
page 230
43.81% ""Well, half of half our faction." "In some circles they call that a quarter, Mar.""
page 246
46.86% "annoyed now. and so I'll annoy you with another update. dammit!!"
page 313
59.62% "I peeked at the end.... huuhhbbduuurrggguh!! That is all"
page 357
68.0% "the heck?!"
page 399
76.0% "finally! I hope..."
page 403
76.76% ""what are you, 12?!" "and a half." haha epic response. and pansycake! must remember that"
page 424
80.76% "ugh!!!!"
page 440
83.81% ""May the peace if god be with you, even in the midst of trouble." "why would it? After all I've done..." "It isnt about you, it is a gift. You cannot earn it, or it ceases to be a gift." oh"
February 8, 2014 – Finished Reading