Fabian's Reviews > The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Perfect, exquisite, everything that was promised to you. This one has quite a high degree of FOLLOW THROUGH. "Gray" is majestic, about the superficial love for oneself. It poses many questions, and as a book of ideas, perhaps the most innovatory in the latter part of the 19th century of them all, it is exactly what a reader wants. Absolute flawlessness, like the young Dorian himself. It's ESSENTIAL. Indeed, the pinnacle of Gay Lit. Comes to us in the rare tradition of too-good-to-be-true, actually-lives-up-to-the-hype literature canon.

The dialogue is rife with quotable lines... indeed Wilde succeeds in wit-- more so in the existential/anarchistic/dandy lines which are pretty much music to the ear. The quaint descriptions themselves are embedded with sadness--the pace & the story... You really couldn't possibly ask for anything else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture of Dorian Gray.

February 3, 2014 – Started Reading
February 3, 2014 – Shelved
February 4, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Jenny Baker Nice review. I love this book! I wish he had written more novels.

Ammara Abid Nice review. And yes this is exquisite & exceptional. I love this book.

Fabian Jenny wrote: "Nice review. I love this book! I wish he had written more novels."
Yes! His plays ARE outstanding, though.

Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V. Another one of my all-time favorites. I love the social commentary going on in this book, and it's amazing how relevant it still is today.

Greg Fabian, I enjoyed this also. And it is probably Wilde's darkest work except for his final poem.

Elyse Walters :) great great great!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ What a beautiful review about my favourite book! =)

Kimber Silver Gorgeous review, Fabian! I love this book! :-)