Bel's Reviews > The Troll's Belt

The Troll's Belt by J.M. Ney-Grimm

F 50x66
Feb 03, 2014

When I first heard of this book, I did not realize it was a children's book, and so was very surprised when it arrived in the mail. While it consequently only took me an hour and a half to read, it was still very enjoyable. The main character starts as a child who doesn't quite understand responsibility, and by the end learns that, and the value of honesty and community, amoung other things. He learns that the world doesn't revolve around him, that love requires respect from both parties, and that it endures through hardship. He finds that material wealth isn't everything. He realizes that someone else isn't always there to save him, and he becomes resourceful and fixes his own problems. All through the eyes of your average preteen.

Since I'm not a preteen, being in my mid-twenties, and this book was written mainly for that younger audience, I lent it to my fourteen year old brother. He isn't nearly the big reader I am, but he really liked it as well. He did comment that he didn't understand some of the words, like "patter," until they were explained to him. On the one hand, those words, and Brys' s way of talking/thinking in general, helped set the scene and tone for the book. On the other, my brother being my example of an average adolescent, sometimes those words can be confusing.

All-in-all, this is a good book that I'll be holding on to to read to/give to my son when he's older.

I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troll's Belt.

February 3, 2014 – Shelved