Tatiana's Reviews > Half Bad

Half Bad by Sally Green

it was ok
bookshelves: abandoned, 2014, urban-fantasy, ya

The downfall of this book is its lackluster plot. I quite liked the story in the beginning - the cage, the brutality, the freshness of the narrator's voice (oh yes, this boy IS half bad). But as the book went on, the limitations of the plot revealed themselves - imagine Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and all the running around and hiding, but without the friendships, the deep back story and the big showdown in the end. What's left is a lot of going from one place to another and meeting various underdeveloped characters with a very clear and rather uninteresting end point (it's not a spoiler - finding the main character's father). I am curious to see if this novel will be as big as its publishers expect it to be. I am certainly not dying to know what happens next, or even finish this installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Bad.

February 3, 2014 – Shelved
February 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 31, 2014 – Started Reading
April 7, 2014 – Finished Reading
April 8, 2014 – Shelved as: abandoned
April 8, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
April 8, 2014 – Shelved as: ya
April 8, 2014 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Emily May Hey! How is this for you? I really liked it but I couldn't decide if it was a Tatiana book or not ^_^

Tatiana I do like it. It's just taking me forever to read it because I have no free time. But I did get an audio version today, that should speed things up.

Emily May Oh, good :) I look forward to hearing what you think.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Warren Oh, darn! This one looked really great.

Tatiana Hey, critics are raving. It might be your thing.

Emily May Crap, my recs suck this year:) Ah well, I hope you like The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender. I think you will, it's very... different.

Tatiana I am sorry. We must be parting our ways as book twins:) I am planning to read Ava Lavender too, eventually.

Emily May Noooo! Lol:) I'm sure this is just a temporary straying from the path on my part. I'm lost without your weird and wonderful recommendations. Thank you for The Kingdom of Little Wounds, though, no one else would think to recommend me High Fantasy with syphilis :D

message 9: by FoodxHugs (new) - added it

FoodxHugs Sounds underwhelming... :/ I'm not sure if it's worth reading now.