Beth's Reviews > Regeneration

Regeneration by Pat Barker

Feb 03, 2014

bookshelves: 1001-books, around-the-world-2014, audiobooks, abnormal

This was a very moving account of the impact of combat in WWI on both the men at the front and those who treated them after the psychologically traumatic events they lived through. It's based on real people and real events. It is beautifully written, combining some of the real poetry written my soldiers in their time convalescing in a military psychiatric hospital with the author's own equally well-crafted prose. The novel, which is the first of a trilogy, explores questions about the morality of war, about the ways in which the military and political aims of those safe and in power are played out at great cost by those who actually do the fighting, about the morality of returning psychologically traumatized individuals to relative mental health only to send them back into the trauma. It juxtaposes two very different ways of treating conversion symptoms which translate conflicts about returning to combat into debilitating physical symptoms, and provides excellent examples of psychodynamic psychotherapy complete with analysis of dreams. I used it to teach my personality theories course the day I started reading it, because it was so perfect for illustrating some of what I was teaching about. I am really looking forward to the rest of the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Regeneration.

February 3, 2014 – Started Reading