Wesley Gerrard's Reviews > The Language Wars: A History of Proper English

The Language Wars by Henry Hitchings

bookshelves: history, non-fiction, reference, translation-studies

About to embark, in September, on a Translation degree, I thought it a good idea to brush up on my rather lamentable English skills and thoroughly cast myself into the depths of this book. It is a worthy and interesting read in which the history of our language is explored. What gave rise to the way we speak in today's world and what, indeed, will tomorrow's English be? The author introduces a multitude of well-spun anecdotes from the most famous of our English language writers in addition to tales of those people who were, behind-the-scenes, most influential on the evolution of our tongue. I found the contrasts between UK English and international English most enthralling and equally the chapters on dialogue and accent were riveting. It is interesting to note how the future of our language will be shaped not by English English-speakers but by the vast hordes of foreign speakers of English. The language's rise to international prominence means that many of the traditions and histories entailed in the book will be overlooked as we step towards future's embrace. This book may be a bit mundane and high-brow to the average reader. I found it suitably challenging, intellectual and enlightening. A goodread good read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language Wars.

February 3, 2014 – Started Reading