Jody's Reviews > Autumn Fire

Autumn Fire by Cameron D. James

Dustin has been sowing his wild oats ever since coming to the big city for college. He's had numerous quickies with men he's met on the internet and found them satisfying until his encounter with sexy jock Kyle, who's sensually sweet in his first encounter. After that no man compares as each encounter feels more unfulfilling and degrading than the next. A twist of fate has them meeting up again with the original sparks still flying between them and Dustin finally convinced about the existence of love and wanting to change into someone more committed. Dustin's evolution is believable as he realizes that love and sex are completely different. He's willing to make a commitment to his sexuality by coming out and by admitting to Kyle his true feelings regardless of the outcome. These acts were admirable and I applauded the freedom this brought to his soul.

Kyle has always lived a heterosexual lifestyle though he knew it never quite fit. Fear of being labeled has held him back from experiencing what he's been dreaming of until his quickie in a bathroom with Dustin that surprised both of them with its intensity. Kyle's a likable character scared of being judged but the promise of love and commitment lead him to making monumental changes.

Though these two spend more time apart than together I still found their connection believable and its evolution satisfying as nothing worthwhile comes without work. I felt sympathetic towards Dustin with his numerous degrading and unsatisfying quickies but happy when he finally realized he deserved more and that some things are worth the risk. Helping him navigate his love life are his surprisingly supportive roommate Jason and Jason's girlfriend Angela. They never judge his actions and encourage in him self-esteem and acceptance of his needs. I found these two opposites so delightful in fact that I'd love their story to be told too. From start to finish sex plays a big part in the story. Dustin discovers a strange array of increasingly unsettling quickies that while hot had me wondering why he engaged in. Thankfully Kyle entered into his life and saved him from the self-destruction these quickies were leading him towards. Along with the numerous sexual interludes comes some truly emotional moments showing the struggle in coming out and living your life for yourself unconcerned with others's perceptions. This is the first time I've read this author but definitely won't be the last.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autumn Fire.

February 2, 2014 – Started Reading