Mrs Mac McKenzie's Reviews > Girl in Translation

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

Feb 02, 2014

bookshelves: family, hk, identity, journey, life-choices, poverty, slavery, teen-female, usa, young-person, immigration

Written like a memoir, but fiction, this story takes us into the life of a HK immigrant girl who moved to New York with her mother. It has to be based on enough fact to create the images of the sweat shops, the slums they are forced to live in and the difficulties moving to a new land, not speaking the language, while dependent on someone who wishes to take advantage of them.

It made me more aware as an educator of what I presume is possible for students, when it may not be. It gave me a little more of an insight into the poverty cycle and how hard it is to rise above it. It gave me more of an insight into being more considerate and caring with regard to giving people a break which may be life changing. It also made me more aware of why immigrant children are so driven, as they are the ticket to freedom for their entire family.

The story itself is simply told and is an easy read.
Available from our school library. SF KWO.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl in Translation.

Started Reading