librarian4Him02's Reviews > Blue Hole Back Home

Blue Hole Back Home by Joy Jordan-Lake

Jan 09, 2010

bookshelves: christy-award-winners, family-relationships, friendships, historical-fiction, set-in-south, racism-issues, read-in-2010
Read from January 09 to 18, 2010

When a Sri Lankan family moves to all-white Pisgah Ridge in the Appalachian region, Shelby invites the daughter Farsanna to be part of the Pack she hangs out with (consisting of her brother and his friends). Not everyone in town is happy to have this family in town. Racial tensions run high and come to an explosive head. Shelby learns a lot about herself this summer and about the townspeople she thought she knew.

This novel, set in the 1970s, is inspired by true events from the author's childhood. As a result, I came to know the characters in depth was invested in their story. The story is powerful, heart-breaking, and eye opening. Jordan-Lake hooked me from page one with her fast-paced, first person narrative and vivid language.

This book evoked a lot of emotions in me and I highly recommend it to those seeking a good coming of age story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Hole Back Home.