Buggy's Reviews > The Darkest Pleasure

The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter

Jan 09, 2010

bookshelves: shelf-09, paranormal-rom, demonexy, tattooed-hero
Read in October, 2009 — I own a copy

Opening Line; "Reyes stood on the roof of the Budapest fortress, five stories up, his feet balanced precariously on the highest ledge."

THE DARKEST PLEASURE is book 3 in the fantastic and addictive Lords Of The Underworld Series and this time it's is all about Reyes, an immortal warrior cursed after opening Pandora's box and ever since bound to the demon of pain. We've been waiting since book 1 to see Reyes's unrequited love for Danika reach its foregone conclusion and Showalter doesn't disappoint.

As in past books this is an ensemble piece, involving the continuing stories of past immortals and their now mates, as well as those Demons yet to have their stories told. Rather than distracting I found all these characters only added to the story in a very `Brothers' living in the mansion kind of way. I love the bantering between the warriors who at the same time respect each others torturous curses. This dysfunctional family unit continues to change and grow, all the while maintaining their constant search for Pandora's Box and fighting off the ever threatening `Hunters.'

Reyes is kinda sexy but he's been cursed with the demon of pain. To avoid hurting others (and feel some pleasure himself) he must satisfy the demon by either releasing it during a fight or self inflicting pain. I.e. cutting or stabbing himself, although he has also been known to jump off the roof of a building just to feel his bones break and hear the demon purr.

Reyes was introduced to Danika Way back in The Darkest Night and he's never been able to forget her. She unfortunately was targeted by Cronus the new King of the Titans and along with her family sentenced to death. To make matters worse it was Reyes's best friend Aeron ordered with upholding the death sentence and the longer he's kept from this task the more bloodthirsty his own demon Wrath has become. In fact Aeron's become so crazed that he's been locked in the dungeon where he's trying to chew off his own hands to escape the shackles. Reyes can't bear to see his friend like this but he can't allow Aeron to kill Danika either and will fight him to the death if need be.

Meanwhile Danika remains on the run, now separated from her family she fears that they may all be dead and in an attempt to find and protect them strikes up a deal with the `Hunters' allowing herself to be used as `Bait' against the immortals. Once inside the castle walls however her resolve starts to fail. Something draws her to Reyes, this man who warms her skin and haunts her dreams. He has shown her nothing but safety and kindness and she has come to desire him, demon and all. Reyes in turn is pretty much useless, unable to concentrate on anything except getting Danika into his bed and keeping her safe from the bloodthirsty Aeron. Now if only he could figure out where Danika's loyalties lie and why Cronus wants her dead they could all live happily ever after.

This was a great read and anyone invested in the series won't be disappointed. Besides the love story there are some excellent sub-plots. (Paris's story is getting progressively heartbreaking *sigh*) My only regret here would be the surprisingly mundane love scenes. Given the subject materiel I guess I expected a little more, I mean pain=BDSM right? Unfortunately (or fortunately?) Reyes wants to keep things gentle and not exploit Danika's dark, kinky side. At times I also felt bogged down with too much Greek Mythology and history but all the same can't wait to read the next instalment. Cheers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Pleasure.

04/18 marked as: read

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant Hey Bugs, great review! I tried to read this series but just couldn't make it through the first book. Damn that J.R. Ward, she ruined me for all PNR.

You're almost making me want to keep reading, though!

message 2: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Feb 04, 2012 03:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Tammy wrote: "Hey Bugs, great review! I tried to read this series but just couldn't make it through the first book. Damn that J.R. Ward, she ruined me for all PNR.

You're almost making me want to keep reading..."

Tammy, the second book with tortured Lucien is great! And I really enjoyed this one, too. I haven't read the others yet.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* BTW, Buggy, I "liked" this previously, but didn't get a chance to say: Great review! I agree about Paris' story becoming progressively heartbreaking. I look forward to his book and also Torin. I hearted Torin from the first book!

message 4: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Great review Buggy ☺

Buggy Tammy wrote: "Hey Bugs, great review! I tried to read this series but just couldn't make it through the first book. Damn that J.R. Ward, she ruined me for all PNR.

You're almost making me want to keep reading..."

Hey Tamster I didn't know you were a BDB fan? MMMmmm BDB!(sorry I went to my happy place)

Once you get past all the Greek Mythology this is a great series especially if you have a thing for the tortured heroes.

Buggy Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "BTW, Buggy, I "liked" this previously, but didn't get a chance to say: Great review! I agree about Paris' story becoming progressively heartbreaking. I look forward to his book and also Torin. I he..."

Thanks Lady J, I'm looking forward to Paris' book most of all, I understand that Gena is saving him for last though :(

message 7: by Buggy (last edited Feb 04, 2012 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Thanks Dee :)

Laura the Highland Hussy you brought up a good point--I'm surprised there wasn't BDSM in here...I can't believe I never thought of that.
great review :)

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant Lady Jayne said: "I had to just get pass the similarities to the "Brothers" and how they seemed somehow lesser (no pun intended ^_^) for it."

LOL!

Maybe I'll try again. Melikes a tortured hero, as long as he's not just a suck.

Buggy Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "you brought up a good point--I'm surprised there wasn't BDSM in here...I can't believe I never thought of that.
great review :)"

Going in I thought it was going to be a sure thing, I mean it only makes sense. I wonder why she didn't go that way?

Laura the Highland Hussy that's a really good question. man, that makes me want to re-read and ponder a review now...