Dianna's Reviews > The Book of the Maidservant

The Book of the Maidservant by Rebecca Barnhouse

Jan 09, 2010

liked it

Johanna is a serving maid to Dame Margery Kempe (she actually existed), who is a sort of religious fanatic who constantly cries and preaches—very loudly. When Dame Margery decides to go on pilgrimage to Rome in the year 1413, she drags along her maid Johanna, who has to cook and wash and mend after walking all day. Poor Johanna!

This book was interesting and medievally accurate (the author's credentials are impressive) but I didn't really get into the story and live with the characters. Still, it was a pleasant way to spend a few hours and I learned some new things. One thing I liked about this book was that main character Johanna was religious from a historical perspective, and she found religious solace in the ways people of her time would have.

Not all the plot points are resolved by the end of the book. I can't decide whether I mind or not: overall I don't mind because it's true to life, but on the other hand, there's something satisfying about seeing all those loose ends tied up at the end of a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of the Maidservant.

January 9, 2010 – Shelved