Felicitia's Reviews > Donna of the Dead

Donna of the Dead by Alison Kemper

bookshelves: arc, reviewed

See that hot kiss happening right there? It wasn't there when I requested this book on Netgalley, and even then I knew I would love this book. Zombies + romance? I am in.

Donna Pierce is different from the other girls, and not solely because of her eerie silver eyes, she's different because she hear voices. Luckily, Donna is not crazy, the voices tend to warn her of danger. When they are yelling on the top of their lungs? not a good signal at all. Donna was just vacationing with her father, her father's girlfriend (or are they married already?), and her best friend Deke. Then in a blink, her life turned upside down when she and Deke are suddenly running for their life from a horde of zombies.

Donna is not the usual type of heroine that I liked. She cried several times, she screamed when the zombies came near, she stands behind Deke instead of fighting for her own life. But what do you expect from a teenage girl who had never trained in fighting zombies or anything like that? even I would have done the same. Maybe cry a bit more (lol, I'm a coward). Despite all that, I actually liked Donna. I don't know if it was her decisions or what but I could relate to her somehow. I understands her actions except that she would swoon for the hottie Liam and not her super sweet, strong, and cute best friend Deke. I love Deke even from the start! God he's really sweet. I don't know where to start about Deke, he's sweet and he fight against the zombies! I just love strong and sweet guys *sigh*. And I haven't even seen the cover yet! because that kiss is just too hot ok.

And then there's the writing style! love everything about it. But then again, I love 99% of the first-person-novels population. The setting was described well, I could feel myself going blargh everytime Donna describes the dirty and smelly condition of the school (and their sanctuary).

Enough said! I definitely LOVE this zombie novel! I mean, how many times you could get a happy ending from a zombie novel? usually it would be between the death of the characters or the humans succeeded in making a cure. If you love Alice in the Zombieland by Gena Showalter, you would probably want to try this out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Donna of the Dead.

February 1, 2014 – Shelved