Graham's Reviews > Across the Nightingale Floor

Jan 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: childrens, fantasy, asia
Read in January, 2010

This is a young adult novel, an adventure story set in a make-believe world with many similarities to feudal Japan. I wish the author had gone the whole hog and made her world Japan, but there we go.

This book was okay. It was short and easy to read, and on the plus side packed with vivid descriptions of beautiful landscapes, castles and nature. But there are also many flaws that stop this from being as good a read as something like CORAM BOY or an early HARRY POTTER.

First, the whole 'is it Japan or isn't it?' thing. The main character trains to be a ninja yet the Japanese words are never used. It gets annoying.

The characterisation isn't too strong. Takeo is a rather boring lead who doesn't show a great deal of thought or emotion despite the world-changing events in his life. Kaede is better, but then the romance scenes between the two only serve to slow the plot down even further.

There isn't a great deal of action here, just people travelling around. Let's see some ninja skills! Also, the ending is anti-climatic. The main character spends the whole book training to overcome the nightingale floor and then - well, it doesn't even feature predominantly.

An okay book, I enjoyed reading it once, but am in no hurry to try the sequels and I wouldn't read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Nightingale Floor.

12/20/2017 marked as: read