Jana's Reviews > A Burnable Book

A Burnable Book by Bruce Holsinger

bookshelves: book-club, audible

Simon Vance, will you read me a story?

UPDATE: And what a story!
This worked for me on so many levels: I remember first reading Chaucer in high school and being so surprised at how bawdy and interesting he was. Much like the surprise of finding out that Shakespeare is this way as well. To spend time immersed in Chaucer's medieval England is about as fun as it gets. In real life last October, and in a book last week. I'm sure I missed many of the references, but I knew that I was in very good hands and was ever so pleased when the dots connected.

I quickly became very attached to one particular character. Here's a hint: I won't tell you his/her name. But all of them were fascinating: the narrator John Gower, Chaucer himself, and a cast of characters from highborn to low.

5*s for setting/atmosphere, characters & plot. Simon Vance is the perfect voice for the narration and I am sure it added to my enjoyment. Hooray for a sequel in the future! I look forward to meeting the author in Vermont next month.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Burnable Book.

January 31, 2014 – Shelved
January 31, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 17, 2014 – Shelved as: book-club
March 17, 2014 – Shelved as: audible
Started Reading
March 27, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Linda I am experiencing the same thing driving from Ohio to NYC and back. (I walked around my cousin's living room last night to get the last 458 steps in!)