Stephen King's Reviews > The Interestings

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer

A group of adolescents—little more than children, really—meet at a camp where kids explore their creativity. Ethan, Jules, Cathy, Goodman, Ash: All believe they are meant for great things. This assumption of huge talent where there may be little or none lies at the heart of Wolitzer’s novel, which sweeps across a span of decades. There’s sentiment here, full and wholehearted, but little sentimentality. Like The Corrections, The Interestings addresses one of fiction’s great themes: how we make peace with our own shortcomings and make the best of ordinary lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Interestings.

Started Reading
January 1, 2013 – Finished Reading
January 31, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Nice review!! Vague, yet descriptive. Impressive.

Misha Loved your EW review, too!

Paolo Looks like something I´d like! Adding it to my list

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica it seems to be a worth reading ( interesting and intelligent)due to your review!

Angela My interest in this "great theme" is exactly why I purchased and read this book to the end. I gave the book one star because I didn't feel it delivered an answer to how these characters made peace with being less than perfect.

Lee-ann I really enjoyed this book

lisa kay thayer This book is amazing

michael L. alexander Sounds very compelling. When I saw that you were reviewing on Goodreads it was a quick tap for me!

message 9: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Awesome that you are here with us! I'm reading it now!

message 10: by TK (new)

TK  Kinney This looks really good. I may be checking it out soon. I need an escape!

message 11: by Bosy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bosy Esmail LOVE YOUR

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

correct!

Alexandria I'm halfway thru this book and I'm bored and not captivated by the characters or the story.

message 14: by tasha m smith (new)

tasha m smith Tasha

Neutral Grey Found this book on my own, bought it on a whim, love it, and now I see one of my favorite authors has read it too. Neat coincidence. One that makes me quite happy.

message 16: by Crich70 (new)

Crich70 Sounds like the author got right to a basic premise of the human condition.

message 17: by mike b (new)

mike b Bought it in an airport. Enjoyed it. Sort of light fare compared to The Corrections, but some very good sections.

message 18: by Toni (new) - added it

Toni This is the perfect review of this vaguely good book.

Ricki Finlay I found this book as interesting as an afternoon in the dentist's chair and almost as painful.

Cynthia Good reading your review. I am still in the process. I discovered accidentally and it is speaking volumes to me mostly because the central characters are just two years younger than I am so I can relate to the societal events in the book as well as the life passages. Almost finish and can't wait to see how the characters progress and learn about themselves (or don't).

message 21: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Mansperger Goodman Wolf? Kind of heavy handed. Plus who stays friends with the same people they went to summer camp with and really never move on. I just couldn't get past these things so it never worked for me.

message 22: by LS (new) - added it

LS Apparently, I liked this less than most. Was given the book to read as '17 began - anticipated the scope you and The Times reviewer noted. For me, the writing itself failed, not the plot/characters/social commentary. I guess I expected too much - eloquence, finesse - Eldridge Cleaver's fire, Wharton's cool.

Katie Brandner I just could not get into this book.... And I really tried! I never do this but I stopped reading it.

message 24: by LS (new) - added it

LS LS wrote: "Apparently, I liked this less than most. Was given the book to read as '17 began - anticipated the scope you and The Times reviewer noted. For me, the writing itself failed, not the plot/characters..."
Dear M22 -- let me echo you ... felt exactly the same, esp your ref to Cleaver & Wharton!

Marilyn Woodward maybe it depends what you are looking for in a book but I totally agree with Stephen King. Amazing book

Willow Welch Megs writing is truly beautiful. I had such a clear image of these characters, who are so relatable in their individual qurks.

I just found it to be too long, a great writer can make whole years fly by in the space of a few chapters but I don't feel like Meg achieved this. I felt the length and a lot of the content unnessesary to the story that was being told and I lost interest a number of times which was a shame.